Who would have ever thought a muddy bike ride in Alabama would inspire a phenomenal & innovative sustainable clothing company…oh the wondrous ways the universe works! Earth Creations is the brainchild of Joy & Martin Ledvina that began over 10 years ago after Joy realized the mud from her bike ride was NOT coming out of her shirt. From there the wheels started turning & with the combination of Martin’s chemical engineering skills & Joy’s business skills & vision, Earth Creations’ sustainable clothing line was formed! A humble beginning, the Bessemer, Alabama based company began selling their shirts in malls across the state & the positive feedback from customers was so immense expansion was definitely in order!
Now over 10 years later, the company has completely exploded & produced a full clothing line made from natural fibers such as organic cotton, hemp & bamboo in an array of beautiful clay-dyed colors. All of their production is completely local, even their sewing facilities are located in Alabama, a rarity now a days with most production going overseas. I loved the fact that the graphics that adorn their amazingly comfortable shirts are bought straight from artists, supporting creative minds across the United States.
Meeting with Joy in their Bessemer facilities was such an incredible experience… being able to walk from room to room witnessing the entire production process, as well as seeing the way she & her husband run a sustainable company was completely mind blowing. Support Earth Creations, a local & sustainable clothing company that not only is progressive environmentally but also fashion forward!
HERE ARE MY TOP HOLIDAY GIFT IDEAS FROM EARTH CREATIONS… Check out their extensive online store, as well as any Whole Foods store to purchase a gift or just something for yourself that will really make a difference!
ONE. JUNEAU JACKET & SYRACUSE SKIRT COME IN AMBER, BLACK, CINNABAR, MUD, PATINA & TOPAZ
TWO. MOD HOODIE TUNIC/DRESS COMES IN AMBER, BLACK, CINNABAR, MUD, PATINA & TOPAZ & LUCIOUS LEGGINGS COME IN BLACK, MUD & TOPAZ
THREE. COMFORTABLE & FABULOUS YOGA CLOTHES, LIKE THE DEL RIO TOP & THE DHARMA PANT THAT COME IN BLACK, CELADON, CITRINE, MOONSTONE, TOPAZ & WHITE.…THESE 2 ITEMS ARE FROM THE UPCOMING SPRING 2010 COLLECTION OUT JANUARY 2010! CHECK OUT THEIR INCREDIBLE FALL YOGA OPTIONS ON THE EARTH CREATIONS ONLINE SHOP.
FOUR. CHILDREN’S GRAPHIC TEES
AND LASTLY HERE ARE EARTH CREATIONS TOP GREEN TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS:
1. Wrap it up. Think outside the wrapping paper aisle! Reuse old paper or make your own keepsake pieces with stamps and other art supplies. Borrow from Japanese culture and create a furoshiki, or traditional Japanese wrapping cloth – a beautiful scarf or embroidered towel can make a stunning and reusable gift-wrap.
2. Season’s greetings. Send tree-free holiday cards, such as those made from hemp or rag, or e-cards.
3. Hold a zero-waste holiday party. It’s easy – put the word out via an online invitation site; use washable table linens, cutlery and plates; decorate with found nature items; and dim the lights.
4. Travel green. No, you don’t have to go over the river and through the woods to Grandma’s house in a horse-drawn sleigh. But do pack lightly; less weight equals less fuel, whether it’s a plane or a car. If flying, coordinate flight times with other relatives to save trips to the airport. And remember the train where possible.
5. Buy greener gifts. Shop for gifts that make you feel good about giving and please your loved ones. From earth creations, check out the cozy Whoppie Cap and the multipurpose, works-on-anyone Shiver Scarf!